Health & Wellness
Primatene Mist: Asthma Medicine Inhaler for Safe Symptom Relief?
What Is Primatene Mist?
Primatene MIST is an over-the-counter inhaler that helps you breathe easier again after an asthmatic bout. It contains the same active ingredient that’s trusted over the years for temporary relief of mild symptoms of intermittent asthma in addition to some improved features.
This FDA-approved, over-the-counter asthma medicine inhaler is ideal for temporary relief of mild symptoms of intermittent asthma:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
Asthma is becoming increasingly common. The condition is life threatening and you should see a doctor if:
- You don’t get better in 20 minutes
- The condition gets worse
- You need more than 8 inhalations in 24 hours
- You have more than 2 asthma attacks in a week
These could be signs that your asthma is getting worse.
How Primatene MIST Works
The following is the procedure for using Primatene MIST inhaler.
- Remove the red cap
- Shake well and spray in the air once
- Exhale completely
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and with your lips closed around the opening
- Inhale deeply while pressing down on the center of the spray indicator
- Hold your breath for as long as possible
- Release finger and remove the inhaler from your mouth, then exhale slowly
- Wait for at least one 60 seconds. If the symptoms persist after one minute, take a second inhalation and repeats the steps 2-7 above.
- Finally, replace the red cap.
Maximum daily dose
The recommended maximum daily dose of the Primatene MIST inhaler is 8 inhalations in 24 hours. It’s advisable to see a doctor if you have more than two asthma attacks in a week.
Children under the age of 12 years should not use the inhaler. For younger teenagers, adult supervision is recommended.
Primatene Mist Improved Features
The new inhaler comes with improved features. While it uses the same active ingredient as the previous inhaler, it comes with hydrofluoroalkane (HFA 134a), which works differently from the old version that contains CFCs. Besides, the package contains a consumer insert that guides you on how to correctly use the new inhaler.